Taco Salad or Texas Tacos are among my favorite meals. But having either of them too often can become boring. I think the following recipe is a fun spin on regular tacos.
Usually I make this when we have people over for dinner (as I mentioned here). I use two 9×13 pans and double this recipe. It’s quick, easy, and includes all the deliciousness of Mexican tacos in one dish!
What you need:
- 1 lb. extra-lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 1/4 cups salsa
- 1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen corn
- 3 flour tortillas (8 in.)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese
How to make it:
1. Heat oven to 375.
2. Brown meat w/onions & peppers in large skillet on medium-high heat.
3. Stir in chili powder; cook 1 minute.
4. Add salsa & corn; mix well. Simmer 5 minutes.
5. Spread 1 cup meat sauce onto bottom of 9×13 baking dish.
Top with layers of 1 tortilla, 1/2 cup meat sauce, sour cream, and 1/4 cup shredded cheese.
Cover with 1 tortilla, 1 cup of remaining meat sauce and 1/4 cup of remaining shredded cheese.
Top with remaining tortilla and meat sauce (or anything else that’s remaining).
6. Cover with foil. Bake 20-25 minutes or until casserole is heated through.
7. Top with remaining shredded cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 3 minutes.
* Garnish with chopped cilantro and green onions just before serving.
*Add black beans for extra protein.